Durham Region Unemployed Help Centre
Jewish Heritage Month Celebration
May 25 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Appropriate for all ages.
Attend in-person Main Branch, or online via Zoom.
Advanced registration required.
Free of charge.
Join us to celebrate Jewish Heritage Month with two special guest lectures from Rabbi Printz, the spiritual leader of B’Nai Shalom V’Tikvah synagogue and Ronald King, President of the synagogue. The event will also feature a performance by musical guests Oy to the World. Snacks and refreshments will be provided. All are welcome!
- 6:30pm: Musical Guests: Oy to the World
- 7:00-7:15pm: Ronald King: Excuse Me: Are You Jewish? The reply to this question might not be as straightforward as you may think! Join us for a thought provoking examination of the answer to the question: Exactly who are members of the Jewish people? Ronald King, President of B’Nai Shalom v’Tikvah, a Reform Jewish Congregation in Ajax, promises answers that may astound you!
- 7:15-8:00pm: Rabbi Printz: When You Can’t (or shouldn’t) Forgive Our society puts a lot of pressure on people to forgive those who have wronged them, especially if clear remorse is expressed. The Jewish approach to forgiveness is more nuanced. While forgiveness is encouraged, Jewish tradition recognizes that forgiving is often a complicated act. Judaism doesn’t preach a binary view of forgiveness – there is an entire world between “I forgive” and “I will not forgive.” Judaism offers a path forward for both the offender and the person they’ve hurt, one that is rooted in compassion for our imperfect human nature.
- 8:00-8:15pm: Q&A with Rabbi Printz and Ronald King
- 8:15-8:30pm: Musical Guests: Oy to the World