Claremont, 4290 Westney Road North, Goodwood, Ontario, Canada Req #232
Friday, February 25, 2022
With more than 60 years of experience, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides.
TRCA works to protect the integrity and health of the rivers and creeks in the jurisdiction, develop a system of green and natural spaces that sustains local ecosystems, and advance sustainable practices that improve people’s lives within our growing region.
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
The Cook is responsible for food planning, preparation, service, and clean-up as it relates to food service delivery. The Cook follows planned menus to provide a balanced food service for patrons. This position ensures that all food operations, preparation, and presentations meet TRCA’s commitment to high quality service.
A key role of this position is maintaining and complying with food standard regulations, while ensuring a safe, orderly, sanitized kitchen through proper food preparation and food handling techniques and processes. Compliance of Health and Safety and Food Standard Protocols is a major responsibility of this role.
This position also supports customer service playing a key role in delivering a strong customer experience.
- Prepare meals according to approved menus and recipes having regard at all times to health and safety requirements for food handling.
- Ensure food supplies are properly stored at all times including storage of food products as delivered, ensuring an appropriate inventory level.
- Operate food service equipment in accordance with health and safety requirements.
- Ensure daily knowledge and understanding of specific client allergies and/or special diet requirements and prepare food accordingly.
- Ensure workstation is kept clean and sanitized in accordance with established Field Centre protocols and procedures, including all kitchen surface areas, serving utensils, and appliances.
- Track daily temperature checks on all refrigeration and freezer units.
- Participate in clean-up, including dish washing, removal of garbage, recycling, and composting, as well as grease removal at the end of each shift.
- Assist with inquiries and concerns from patrons in a tactful and professional manner.
What will you need to succeed:
- Food Handers Certificate required.
- Smart Serve Certification
- Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR required.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in food preparation and service.
- Previous experience working with customers.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate and work well with others in a team environment.
- Basic understanding of hygiene, sanitation and kitchen equipment.
- Experience preparing large/batch quantities of food.
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
What TRCA has to offer you:
As part of a progressive team you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact to preserving and protecting nature, while maintaining a balance between the natural environment and built environment. Working with experts within our field, you will join a team of colleagues that are committed to TRCA’s core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence (icare). You will be part of a diverse and inclusive organization that:
- Makes a positive difference in the communities we serve.
- Fosters high performance and collaborative teams.
- Provides continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits program (including Defined Benefit Pension Plan – OMERS/OTPP).
- Provides unique TRCA Perks.
- Provides flexible work arrangements.
- Offers potential for career growth and advancement.
Employment type: Contract
Duration of employment: One year
Hours of work: Variable Hours
Work location: Claremont Field Center
Division: Education and Training
Business unit: Education and Training
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting TRCA-124-22 prior to midnight on March 11, 2022.