Municipality of Clarington
If you require this information in an alternate format, please contact the Accessibility Coordinator at 905-623-3379 ext. 2131.
The Corporation of the Municipality of Clarington Community Services requires Instructor and Lifeguards
We are an equal opportunity employer
The Municipality of Clarington is a progressive employer committed to equity, inclusion and diversity within its community and organization. We are committed to building an inclusive and barrier-free environment for our team.
We are pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process or in performing your position should you be selected please contact the Human Resources Division at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Who we are
Clarington is one of eight municipalities in Durham Region. With a population of 105,000 people and growing, Clarington offers residents a blend of city living and rural charm. The corporation is made up of six departments that report through to the Chief Administrative Officer.
The Municipality of Clarington is an equal opportunity employer and a great place to build a career. We value teamwork, diversity and offer an environment where staff can grow and pursue advancement opportunities while making a difference to the community.
What the role entails
Reporting to the Aquatic Coordinator, Instructors and Lifeguards supervise various public and lane swims, teach swim lessons to all ages, prevent accidents, and respond to emergency situations for the Courtice Community Complex, Diane Hamre Recreation Complex and Alan Strike Aquatic and Squash Centre for Fall 2022.
The following responsibilities and duties of this position includes but is not limited to:
· Ensuring the health and safety of all participants using the facility.
· Preventing accidents and respond to emergency situations
· Demonstrating strong internal and external customer service skills
· Demonstrating strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail
· Adhering to recommended lifeguard and operating procedures including the Canadian Red Cross and Lifesaving Society
· Performing all administrative duties as required
The successful candidate will possess:
· Minimum 16 years of age
· Current Standard First and with CPR Level ‘C’
· Current Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard (NL) Award
· Current Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Award and/or Lifesaving Swim Instructor’s Award
· Current Lifesaving Society Instructor Award (or within six months of hire)
· Must be legally able to work in Canada
What we offer you
We offer the following for this position:
· Rates of pay: $17.71 per hour (2021 rate) for Lifeguard shifts, $18.73 per hour (2021 rate) for Instructor shifts, and $15.01 per hour (2021 rate) for training shifts.
· Hours of work: up to a maximum of 24 hours per week including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Additional information and requirements
Candidates must be available to attend a wet screening session. Dates to be provided in advance.
Prior to starting the position, the successful candidate must provide, at their own expense, a current (within the last 180 days) satisfactory criminal reference check with vulnerable sector screening from a Canadian Police Information Centre. Applicants who have been employed with the Municipality within the last year and have provided a criminal reference check within the last 365 days are exempt from providing another criminal reference check.
The Municipality of Clarington requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-
19. Valid exemptions pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be assessed on a case- by-case basis. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation under policy H-37 – Workplace COVID-19 Vaccination, please contact email@example.com for additional information. Please note that resumes should not be sent to this email.
How to apply
To view this position and to submit your application online, please visit www.clarington.net/careers.
This job competition number is File # 105-22.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Applicant information is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of evaluating the applicant. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Director of Legislative Services by calling 905-623-3379.